Saturday, December 09, 2006

WINE: WOLF BLASS Gold Label Sparkling Pinot Noir Chardonnay 2004

Type: Sparkling White
Origin: Australia
Approx Cost: $20

Wolf Blass has been one of the most well known houses in Australia for as long as I can remember. Yet I’ve never really been moved to drink a lot of their stuff. Out of a mixed dozen of different and exciting sparkling wines this is one of the last ones I pulled out.

Straight after the cork is removed I can smell ripe fruit aromas in the bottle. Bead is heavy but very persistent. Mid gold with just the slightest hint of green. Definitely not a mellow drink. Bold brioche and creamy yeast flavours. Also some strawberry and apricot. Fine finish. Wouldn’t work well as an aperitif but would go well with stronger appetizers.

A technically good wine but the flavour hasn’t impressed me. And really, if it doesn’t taste good why bother? Still tastes a little tight.

83%

No comments: