Saturday, March 31, 2007

RESTAURANT: Acabonara Italian Restaurant

Type: Italian
Location: 65 Burwood Road, Burwood
Booking Required: Sometimes

I’ve walked past Acabonara dozens of times and never thought anything of it. From the outside it looks like a below average suburban Italian joint. But a work function drove me inside and forced me to try it. I’ve been looking for a good Italian place lately so I was looking forward to see if it was any good.

The short answer is no.

Normally I’d be struggling to decide how to rate the service, since it ranged dramatically between good and poor, but in this case I was distracted by how utterly terrible the décor is inside the restaurant. I really doubt that it has been updated since the restaurant opened, presumably some time in the 70’s.

They don’t appear to use good quality ingredients in the recipes. The food arrived completely dull and didn’t make you want to eat it. Their pizza is apparently excellent but I wasn’t impressed. The base is too thick and the toppings aren’t of a good quality.

To its credit, Acabonara is quite cheap and the portions are generous. If you are looking for a cheap, filling Italian meal then this may be an option. Otherwise, I’d steer clear.

RATING: Will probably not return to

No comments: